Today, May 27th at 3:00 p.m. local time, Americans across the U.S. paused in a silent moment of remembrance for the men and women who fought for their country.
In December 2000, the “National Moment of Remembrance Act” was passed by the Congress and signed by president Clinton requiring Americans to do so. Each year, on the last Monday of May, America honors those who made the ultimate sacrifice in the pursuit of freedom and peace.
This holiday, formerly known as Decoration Day, was established in 1868 to commemorate the Union and Confederate soldiers who died in the American Civil War. It was given that name because soldiers’ graves were decorated on that day.
By the 20th century, this honorable day was extended to all Americans who gave their lives while serving in the military service. And in 1971, Memorial Day was declared a national holiday by an act of Congress.
Memorial Day is also associated with the start of summer, BBQs and baseball but let’s not forget the primary reason why it was instated. LowVARates.com designed this infographic to remind us exactly that and to show us what we can do to celebrate the heroes who died while fighting for their country.
The most popular way is to wear a red poppy all day. This tradition has spread to many other countries like here in Canada. Another way is to put up the national flag half staff until noon and full staff for the rest of the day.
So check out this infographic below to discover other ways to pay your respects and to rekindle the true meaning of Memorial Day. If you want, let me know what you are doing today and, in the meantime, HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY!!
Click on infographic to enlarge
Photo credit: United States Marine Corps Official Page/Flickr
Embed This Infographic On Your Site (copy code below):
- 30 Insane Facts About Dogs You Probably Didn’t Know (INFOGRAPHIC) - April 25, 2016
- The Ultimate 2016 Social Media Image Sizes Guide (INFOGRAPHIC) - April 11, 2016
- The Scary Truth About Dog Obesity And How To Deal With It (INFOGRAPHIC & VIDEO) - March 28, 2016
- Type A Or Type B: Which Personality Type Do You Think You Are? (INFOGRAPHIC) - March 14, 2016
- Abandoned In The Desert, This White German Shepherd Gets Unusual Rescue (VIDEO) - March 4, 2016